In 1855 Charles Dickens’s friend Wilkie Collins wrote a two-act melodrama entitled The Lighthouse.  Dickens liked the play and suggested that they stage it with a cast of amateur actors in the children’s theater at Dickens’s home, Tavistock House.  The theater seated only twenty-eight, so the play was performed on June 15th, 16th, 18th, and 19th.  The playbill here is for the performance on June 19th, 1855.  Dickens composed “The Song of the Wreck” which was sung by his daughter, Mamie Dickens.  The scenery was painted by Clarkson Stanfield, R.A., the artist who illustrated many of Dickens’s books.  Dickens, who often used the stage name “Mr. Crummles,” had the lead role of Aaron Gurnock.  Wilkie Collins played Martin Gurnock.  Others in the cast were Mark Lemon, and Dickens’s sister-in-law Georgina Hogarth.  After an intermission, Mr. Nightingale’s Diary was performed.